Friday, April 10, 2015

Celebrating Poetry and Pizza


It’s Friday! Time for pizza! The second day of the year officially kicks off National Pizza Week. To celebrate that holiday (or pizza on any day), share “Pizza Week Menu” by Michelle Schaub (from The Poetry Friday Anthology for Celebrations). Here, adorable Josephine reads the poem aloud complete with multiple pizza props!


Thanks to (student and mom) Veronica W. for organizing this video (and procuring the pizzas, I’m guessing!). For the full text of this poem and 150+ more (all in English AND Spanish), order your own copy of The Poetry Friday Anthology for Celebrations HERE and for more Poetry Celebrations fun, click HERE. Plus for more on National Poetry Month, click HERE.

Meanwhile, poet and author Laurie Purdie Salas is hosting our Poetry Friday gathering this week over at Writing the World for Kids—just click HERE. See you there!

6 comments:

Michelle Heidenrich Barnes said...

Great video! That Josephine sure makes no secret of the fact she's not very fond of anchovies, spinach, or mushrooms. LOL!

jama said...

Am loving all these videos. Josephine is a natural. Drooling over all those pizzas -- especially the one with whipped cream. :)

Michelle Schaub said...

WOW! This is the first time I have even had one of my poems turned into a video. I am both honored and impressed by Josephine's work. LOVE IT!!

Anonymous said...

Sorry, Josephine, my favorite is spinach and mushroom, and add a little feta! Michele Krueger

Sylvia Vardell said...

Thank you all for stopping by! I agree-- Josephine is adorable and really sells this poem (and all the pizzas except the anchovy pizza, of course!)! And if you look closely, her whole family got involved!

laurasalas said...

OK, I confess I had to watch this without sound, so I'm going just on text and visuals. Josephine is a doll! I loved her expressiveness--could easily tell the mood and which part of the line she was reading. What a cute poem:>)