Thursday, March 29, 2012

My new book: The Poetry Teacher's Book of Lists

I'm so excited to share the news that my latest book is out today-- The Poetry Teacher's Book of Lists. This book has been in the works for 4 years, but took a back seat while I fulfilled my editorial duties for Bookbird, the international children's literature journal (which was wonderful, but all-consuming). I picked up the thread again last summer and just wrapped it up this spring-- just in time for National Poetry Month. I hope you'll help me spread the word. Here's the lowdown:

The Poetry Teacher's Book of Lists is intended to be a comprehensive resource for teachers, librarians, and parents packed with poetry bibliographies and research-based strategies for selecting and sharing poetry with young people (ages 0-18). Need help finding the perfect poem for a holiday celebration or a science unit? A funny riddle poem or a bilingual poetry book? The Poetry Teacher’s Book of Lists contains 155 different lists featuring 1500 poetry books for children and teens in the following categories:

(1.) Poetry Awards and “Best” Lists,
(2.) Seasonal and Holiday Poetry Booklists,
(3.) Multicultural and International Poetry Booklists,
(4.) Thematic or Topical Poetry Booklists,
(5.) Poetry Booklists Across the Curriculum,
(6.) Booklists Highlighting the Form of Poetry,
(7.) Creating a Poetry-Friendly Environment,
(8.) Sharing and Responding to Poetry Out Loud,
(9.) Teaching Poetry Writing, and
(10.) General Poetry Teaching Resources.

You’ll find recommended lists of poetry books tied to calendar events throughout the year, poetry that targets the needs of students acquiring English as a new language, poetry to help children through worries, adjustments or difficult times, 20 lists of poetry to support the study of science, social studies, and language arts, lists organized by different poetic forms, question prompts to guide meaningful discussions, preparation and presentation pointers, display ideas, poetry quotes, lesson plan tips, poet birthdays, and a poetry scavenger hunt and treasure hunt for kids—all tools to help jumpstart a poetry program and keep it energized and fresh all year long. Click here to check it out!

Meanwhile, swing by poet Heidi Mordhorst's blog, My Juicy Little Universe, to join the Poetry Friday crew this week. See you there!

Last week's contest winner
For those of you who commented on my "election year" post last week, the winner of the free Janet Wong books is Elizabeth McBride. Thank you also, Mary Lee, Myra, Keri, Laura, Charles, and Mrs. Davis for reading and commenting. If you will each send me your mailing address, I'll send Elizabeth her prize and each of you one of the extra ARCs (advance copies) or poetry paperbacks I have. Just write me at svardell AT Gmail DOT com.

Coming soon: My 5Q Poet Interview Series-- a poet a day for April!

5 comments:

Julie said...

How wonderful - congratulations, Sylvia!! I can't wait to get my hands on a copy.

J.R.Poulter/J.R.McRae said...

Hearty congratulations! Wonderful work! I think this will make you a firm favourite with teachers all over!

Joyce Sidman said...

Congrats, Sylvia! Looks like a yummy volume!

Jeannine Atkins said...

Congratulations! Another wonderful contribution from you for poetry (I loved your 30 Days, 100 Poems in Book Links). Yay!

Books4Learning said...

Wow! It looks like an amazing resource for teachers. Thanks for all your hard work putting it together!